Saturday, January 10, 2009

my usual weirdness!

this week has been filled with activity- school started up again for both em and i... seminary is it's happy little 6am self... jeanie (elm fork) has said she misses my assistance and has asked me to help whenever i can...5 guys that have wanted to get together with me have stopped texting me about it...my christmas tree is 'tagged' for tomorrow...michael is leaving for israel...and that has me doing google searches on more israel history.

in less than 12 hours i had three different references to israel's 6 day war fall in my lap. k- i'm not jewish, haven't taken any history courses on the subject, and have no other ties to israel other than what we're taught from the bible. therefore, the 6 day war was new stuff to me. i was a year and a half old when it happened, june 1967. so, not a huge surprise, but even so, the story is remarkable enough that i can't believe if i did hear about it that i didn't pay any attention to it.

oh, and it's only called the '6 day war' by the israeli's- the other countries involved have their own names for it, while the syrians who were also involved have absolutely no reference to it in any of their writings.

strange stuff!

anyway, i'm rambling. the point is- what happened in those 6 days is what makes up the dynamics for what is happening today.

when i read the news reports of tens of thousands protestors in france, barcelona, sweden, lebanon, milan, florence, venice...all against israel fighting gaza- well, i couldn't believe it.

my curiosity is piqued. i don't get it. what am i missing???

i'm back to my research. articles on the net...might pick up a book by michael b. oren (history phd, american jew who moved to israel with his family as a teen and has an extensive army history. remember when i mentioned that all 18 year olds are required to serve three years? that service is required for one month out of every year following until the age of 42! there are many non jews that live in israel that volunteer for that same commitment)...and channel surfing last night brought up cspan history and a book review. maybe they'll have more.

if you have anything to comment on to help me out...please do!

4 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Maybe you have already run across the website I have listed below but it gives a fairly concise explanation of the history of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

It is a very complicated mess. I gave up a long time ago trying to keep up with all the issues. I just hate all the killing.
There's a lot of ignorance and hate going on. Very sad.
http://www.mideastweb.org/nutshell.htm

Wrangler Ron said...

As I am sure you know the conflict between Israel and the Arab nations goes clean back to Abraham. It's a conflict that won't get resolved until the Savior returns. The Arabs just can't leave Israel alone. So Israel is always on constant alert. They have the better military but the Arabs are well skilled at blaming Israel for every conflict. They start things and then they blame Israel for the death and destruction that follows.
It's sad. Without the support of the U.S., however, Israel would probably not be able to defend itself for very long.

Dani said...

I got nothin' to add to what has already been said here. The whole thing just makes me very SAD. Good luck in your research.

Utah Dancer said...

I know Glenn Beck has a youtube video that "explains the conflict in 2 minutes". I laughed at the idea, but then I actually learned something from it...that Great Britian tried to make a home for both Israel and Palestine--but Syria took over the Palestine area and then Israel took the Gaza.