Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!!!

hey y'all....!

look- we're at a NEW YEAR. amazing stuff! i've been thinking about it- seems every magazine has some article about healthy ways to approach new year goals.

dr. phil...i can hear the groans! but, he has some wonderful self examining bullet points to aid us in evaluating for change. he asks:

1. Is what you're doing in your life working?
2. Are your payoffs healthy?
3. Are you getting in the way of your own success?
4. Are you making everyone happy except yourself?
5. Is the most of what you're doing too high?
6. Are you living with a chip on your shoulder?
7. Has it been too long since you relaxed?
8. Have you gotten too comfortable?
9. Are you being spiritually fed?
10. Are you low on your own priority list?

the usual suspects aren't on this list but if you read between the lines, you will find wherein you know you need to make adjustments.

funny enough, i got to thinking of this list while i was in my vinyasa yoga class this morning. our instructor reminded us that stressful/painful/unhealthy memories are held in the hip joints. she led us through several poses to loosen the areas and then repeatedly asked us to exhale- deeply and vocally. it was interesting to me that at that moment i did feel different and invigorized to do more.

i wake up each year knowing that i want things to be better than the last. i'm thankful that as the years have progressed my goals have matured- this year no exception.

at the end of a good yoga class, the instructor will advise the group to get in 'corpse' pose. laying on your back, hearing the calming exercises for the mind to also rest, most participants lose themselves- almost drifting off to sleep. today the instructor walked around through the group and selected some here and there to nourish. i don't know what else to call it... and what she offers differs from one to another. when her feet approached our area i knew that she was coming to stand by me. i didn't have anything covering my eyes- which most in the class like to have- so she placed a warmed towel over my eyes, then gently pressed her hands into it, then to my shoulders, doing the same, and then finally letting her hand rest on my forhead. after she walked away i felt a tear dropping off my cheek.

we carry many things around with us each and every day- every moment- on our shoulders, on our minds, in our hearts. that small act of giving just touched me. and i realized that i need to find where my goals, dreams, and hurts are and address them.

along this line of thought- Randy Pausch (i'm sure you've heard of him)gave a lecture that ended up being on demand, picked up by tv, book rights sold, and moved into my world. i saw the advertisements, watched a bit of the special that was on tv, and heard the announcement of his death.

and, was given the book to read, which i did over this past week. i copied this summary from the website regarding what all the fuss was about:

"A lot of professors give talks titled “The Last Lecture.” Professors are asked to consider their demise and to ruminate on what matters most to them. And while they speak, audiences can’t help but mull the same question: What wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance? If we had to vanish tomorrow, what would we want as our legacy?"

to summarize even further- his book talks about these bullet points:

1. Always Have Fun
2. Dream Big
3. Ask for What You Want
4. Dare To Take a Risk
5. Look for the Best In Everybody
6. Make Time for What Matters
7. Let Kids Be Themselves

it's a great book. he's funny and full of life and how he lived it- and how he'd love to see his children get to live theirs. great perpective and, definitely worth reading!

and that's it! i'm done being all new yearsie in this post! yea!!!

to add: i've placed tay's 7th letter on his blog. check it out and be a dear and leave him a comment. he loved the last ones! :)

i wanted to share a pic of a gift i received from michael, my friend from israel. he wanted to give me a christmas gift- i dare say it was the first such gift he's given. so cute, too, kept saying 'merry christmas' days after christmas was over. the reason i'm posting this is- he had many observations of being here during the holiday. he didn't think that our area seemed to really celebrate. he told me that christians love the jews- but most people 'don't love us so much'. i try to show him what being christian is, outside of what he sees working here in america. anyway, he gave me this:



he explained that he bought the necklace in israel when he was home last, and that it 'wasn't so much but thank you for being my friend.' he further explained that he didn't know who he would give it to- but that he had decided he wanted it to go to me, adding, he didn't understand why i wanted to be his friend. well, i just do.

it's sterling silver, the star of david, and as you may have guessed, the gift was perfect for me. i love it!

i found this interesting too... he forwarded this to me from his jewish friends. it had made the rounds in their peer group- and after i translated the hebrew (sample בן ביקש מאביו "אבי, האם תשתתף בריצת מרתון איתי?", האב אשר למרות היותו
סובל ממחלת לב אמר "כן". הם הלכו והתחרו במרתון ביחד. יום אחד ביקש הבן
מאביו "אבא, בא נשתתף בתחרות איש הברזל ביחד". האב אמר כן. כדאי להזכיר
כי תחרות איש הברזל כוללת שחיה בים למרחק של 3.86 ק"מ, רכיבה על אופנים
למרחק של 180.2 ק"מ וריצת מרתון של 42 ק"מ. האב ובנו התחרו בתחרות ביחד.
עכשיו תראו את הוידיאו המדהים הזה של שניהם מתחרים) to english found that they researched the story, added details AND LOVED the message. (yeah, i get a kick out of it translating what i can w/the help of a website) you just have to watch it to see why it's so interesting (and again, blogger won't let me just add a link so copy and paste plz):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJMbk9dtpdY&eurl

and finally, out of the blue, i was released from my church calling as a primary teacher and was not extended a new one. (i think the comment i made a few months back about single moms being called to teach primary was overkill) sigh. lol.
love ya and Happy New Year!!!

4 comments:

John and Jenny said...

I am positive that you will not be left without a calling for long! You are much too talented and sought after! I hope that you have a fabulous new year...I look forward to seeing many more posts!

Mustang Suzie said...

Glad you had a good day, Rhonda. Sounds like some interesting events in your life.

You are naturally gifted in making friends and caring for people. That's obvious to all of us in the stories you tell. I'm sure the young man from Israel is very lonely and probably hasn't had many people react to him the way you have. I'm sure his mother appreciates him having a "mother figure" that he can talk to.

There are so many people around us who could use some TLC. I have been thinking about New Year's goals too and I always think I better be honest with myself about what I can really accomplish. One of the things in your list about whether you make others happy but maybe not yourself. Well, I have always felt that making others happy makes me happy. I'm so grateful for the Savior's example in serving others.

I hope you soon receive another calling. In the meantime, your calling as a missionary mom is real and extensive. So you are not really without a calling :-)!

Thanks for posting Taylor's new letter. I know it takes extra time from you but we sure appreciate hearing about his mission.
Love you, Mom

Dani said...

So many deep thoughts from you for this new year! I really appreciate hearing them, seeing as how my thoughts for the day have been very on the surface (such as "What's for lunch?" :-) Your post has made me...

1. Want to take a Yoga class
2. Breathe deeply
3. Take some time today to evaluate goals for the New Year (I was planning to anyway, but reading this gave me a nice little push).
4. Look into the book you recommended.
5. Smile!!!

Thank you! And... you'll have a new calling before you know it! Love ya!

Wrangler Ron said...

This might be a duplicate posting. If it is, please ignore it.

DITTO to the preceeding comments.
You're quite an amazing person; quick to make friends; see and respond to another's need; gifted teacher; and always looking to see what's around the next bend---quite fearless actually. Nothing seems to daunt you. And I'm sure the Lord still has much work for you to do to bless the lives of others, officially called and unoffically called.
Speaking of which, I'm guessing that you have taken the opportunity to share your testimony of the restored gospel with your friend Micheal. I'm also guessing that Elder Barron would be proud of the missionary work his Mom is doing at home. Sounds like a real golden contact. Have you been able to introduce him to other Church members or the missionaries? Does he have a Book of Mormon? How might we help? Please fill us in with the rest of the story.
Good counsel in the things we might do to take stock of our lives and see where we can approve each day and each year. My approach to New Year's resolutions is a bit more complex yet simple; I just try to be more like the Savior; to follow his counsel. By doing so I know I'm bound to focus on the right things, at the same time I hope to be worthy of having his Spirit to guide and bless my efforts. Heaven knows I need it. Your Mom does too.
Sorry for the long comment. I got a bit carried away. :-)
Love and Miss you. Always wish you were here. Take care.