Sunday, December 7, 2008

Look Out...

rhonda's (yes that's me) bought and decorated a tree! and i love it! (as much as i can love doing something that i'm not really into.) it's a nine foot, pre-lit beautiful tree and replaced a tree that barely made it through the last season. honest to goodness- if it hadn't have been tay's last Christmas at home, i would've kicked that tree to the curb the day we put it up. in humor and some disdain, we called it the leaning tree...

aside: if you could help me figure out why i'm so loath to get into decorating anymore... how i got to be this way... i'd be forever grateful. :)

Christmas is a wonderful season and i remember days gone by where i made the most of every carol or Christmas CD. not only did i decorate- but i worked on decorations months in advance. a couple of those decorations i use and love, still. such as our stockings and the tree garland.


the stockings i made...


the garland to match...


we each have a new ornament to add to the tree, this is em's.


i've always collected nativities...


taylor was not here to choose an ornament this year... so when i came across this indian and eagle one, and it brought to mind tay's eagle scout ceremony, i felt it was a wonderful find. head's up friends and family- next year i want to find a missionary ornament. if i can't find one i guess i'll make him one :)

the other tradition that we have is to collect (and this will make you wonder even more about me-) ornaments from our vacations. yes, even though i don't like to decorate for Christmas, i go out of my way to collect ornaments in every town we travel to. but, it is a fun collection! here are two we have from hawaii:



i want to pass on a trick i have- i keep all of my ornaments throughout the year in the christmas gift boxes that can be bought in stores- it takes a couple of boxes for each of us- and yes i separate them out when we bring the tree down, so that the following year we can easily see who's belong to each of us. after we decorate the tree i place the boxes under the tree. it looks like we have presents under the tree- and as funny as this sounds- everyone who comes over is impressed with that! let's just keep that amongst ourselves!

as i was working on this post i listened to The First Presidency's Christmas Devotional. i love the stories, the music, the Spirit. it helps and it heals.

i heard to reach out and serve- and that will be my goal the rest of this season, at least!

for all of you, from me- i hope that you are loving this time with your family, that you are enjoying the festivities, too- and that you feel the Savior's love! xoxo

5 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Maybe the reason you are struggling to get into the decorating mode is because in the past you have over extended yourself by making SO MANY THINGS and decorating every little corner! You are just worn out! I'm sure someday when you have more time, you will feel like it would be fun again because it won't be under pressure.

I do love all the things you have made. I still enjoy my little ornaments on my small trees. I keep remembering that you were going to just give them away because they didn't sell so I needed to rescue them!

I will look for missionary ornaments. I can't imagine that there would not be some around here.

Speaking of the First Presidency Message, we watched it also and we also babysat Gabe while BJ and Rochelle went up with Charles and his new "girlfriend." Charles was lucky enough to get tickets. We also had a nice visit from Candice, Andy and the girls. Love you and I'm going to try to call you tomorrow night. Mom

ShaRee said...

I just wanted to say thank you for the comment left on my blog. It's been so amazing to hear of all the family support and love for my mom and our family. Blogging is such a neat way to keep in touch with extended family! Thanks again and I will send my mom your love.

Dani said...

I'm having some trouble getting your pictures to come up too! It's not just your blog either, I can't get some of my friends to work either. I think Blogger is having some issues! I love this post (even w/out the pics) because I love hearing about traditions. Your suggestion to us 13 years ago to collect ornaments for each member of the family is still in affect for us today. We love doing that each year!

You have always been such a crafty person and made so many things over the years. I agree with mom that you are probably just tired of over-doing it! I'm glad that you had fun with your tree this year.

We are really going to miss having you here at Christmas time! Love you!

rochelle said...

I really like the stocking and garland you made. Decorating is a lot of work. We don't even have that much stuff, but it is taking us more than a week to get everything put up. Once it's up though, everything feels more festive.

Utah Dancer said...

REally cute decorations Rhonda! We don't have our tree up yet--so I am not the one to ask about decorating! I will bet that part of your not wanting to decorate is simply missing Tay! Love you!